The Adequate Vitamins And Minerals Needed During Pregnancy:
Poorly nourished women during pregnancy can risk the baby’s growth and development. So if you are pregnant, you need to have an adequate diet as it associated with the health of mother and baby. Below we have listed essential vitamins for pregnant women.
1. Vitamin A:
Indeed, Vitamin A is good for eyes, and even boost immunity. In pregnancy, vitamin A helps in the early-stage development of the fetus. A balanced intake of Vitamin A benefits in the development of spinal cord, limbs, hearts, and ears of the baby inside the womb.
It can lead to eyes and skin-related disorders. It even increases the risk of common infections and respiratory problems. Somewhat it even co-related with deficiency of iron and leads to anemia during pregnancy.
Premature birth is also a significant drawback or can also affect the baby’s weight during delivery. Acute intake of Vitamin A can also promote chronic toxicity among pregnant females, which can risk miscarriage, stillbirth, and congenital disabilities in babies.
Natural Sources of Vitamin A:
- Dairy products (milk, butter, cheese, camembert)
- Fish (tuna, salmon, trout, king mackerel)
- Beef liver/lamb liver
- Plant-based oils
- Cod liver oil
- Dark green leafy vegetables (kale, chard, turnip greens, collards, spinach, lettuce, )
- Sweet potato
- Winter squash
2. Vitamin B9- Folate:
Folate is an essential micro-nutrient that helps in the ideal synthesis and development of DNA. However, deficiency of Folate or Vitamin B9 in pregnant females can lead to the fetus’s neural tube defects. The lack of Folate can also cause hemolytic anemia. Thus, it needs the proper amount of vitamin B9 from the first trimester itself.
Natural Sources Of Folate (Vitamin B9):
- Green leafy vegetables (spinach, chard, kale, broccoli, asparagus, lettuce, etc.)
- Whole grains and cereals based foods (bread, pasta, etc.).
- Lentils, beans, and legumes.
- Cantaloupe, oranges, avocadoes, and other tropical fruits.
- Seeds and nuts.
- Chickpeas, corn, cauliflower.
3. Vitamin B12:
, Unlike Folate, Vitamin B12 is also suitable for healthy synthesis and development of DNA. It is even a fantastic nutrient for maintaining the growth and health of brain cells. As a fact, deficiency of Vitamin B12 among pregnant females can risk anemia, skin issues, low energy, fatigue, mood swings, neurological complications, impaired bowel, sensory disturbances, etc.
Natural Sources Of Vitamin B12:
- Dairy products-Swiss cheese, low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt
- Red meat
- Lamb’s liver
- Fortified cereals
- Fortified Soymilk
- Nutritional yeast
- King Crab
4. Vitamin C:
Generally, vitamin C is also known as L-ascorbic acid that is rich in antioxidants properties as well. It works as an anti-aging compound that even boosts the health of skin, bones, blood vessels, cartilage, muscles, etc. During pregnancy, Vitamin C supports multiple roles to have good dental health of both mother and fetus.
Moreover, vitamin C deficiency can cause scurvy and maternal complications like hypertension, anxiety, and mood swings. It even can cause abruptio placentae, which is premature detachment of the placenta.
Natural Sources Of Vitamin C:
- Citrus fruits: oranges, lemon, berries, kiwi, guavas, papaya, tomatoes, pineapple, etc
- Green leafy vegetables: kale, spinach, chard
- Snow peas
- Bell peppers
5. Vitamin D:
To absorb minerals like calcium and phosphorous, Vitamin D plays a crucial role. Apart from this essential segmented task of absorption of minerals, it is good for the immune system, skin, and strengthening of muscles. Generally, the deficiency of Vitamin D can cause osteoporosis among adults. Among children, it can lead to rickets or retarded development of skeletal bones during the fetus growth period.
Natural Sources Of Vitamin D:
- Fatty fish: herring, salmon, tuna, mackerel.
- Fortified foods: margarine, dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.
- Egg yolks
- Beef liver
6. Vitamin K:
It helps in maintaining blood clotting both in coagulation and anti-coagulation. Vitamin K deficiency might cause bleeding disorders, which can be dangerous for pregnant females, especially during delivery. Moreover, a low intake of Vitamin K also leads to the risk of significant hip fracture.
Natural Sources Of Vitamin K:
- Green leafy vegetables: mustard green, kale, chard, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, parsley, beet greens, etc.
- Pork, beef liver, chicken, goose liver, duck breast, etc.
- Egg yolk
- Dairy products: Whole Milk, cheese, butter, cream, etc.
- Plant-based oils like canola oil, soyabean oil, olive oil.
- Avocado, kiwi, berries, pomegranate, figs, tomatoes, grapes, etc.
- Red kidney beans
- Hazelnuts, cashew nuts, and walnuts.
Considerably, rich diet with balanced nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, proteins, etc. fascinate the health. When it comes to pregnancy, we can not deny the facts of healthy diet plans. Moreover, if you have any confusion and misconceptions about diet during pregnancy, then take advice for your gynecologist or dietitian. Apart from a healthy diet, a healthy regime is also essential for expected delivery and the fetus’s ideal development.